Sustained by Lord and Light, the twin-headed lion reigns over the kingdom of Ivalice.
A year has passed since the loss of the Fifty Years' War. The prince, though but two years of age, has ascended the throne, his father having been claimed by sudden malady. Too young to rule, the prince requires a regent, who would be king in all but name. The queen's brother, Duke Larg, had seemed the obvious choice for the regency. However, fearing the influence such an appointment would give the queen, the Council refused to back him. Instead, they appointed the king's younger cousin, Duke Goltanna, as regent.
Duke Goltanna and Duke Larg were both generals who had distinguished themselves during the Fifty Years' War. Duke Goltanna counts as ally the greater part of the aristocracy loyal to the Crown. However, the fallen nobility and free knights left in the aftermath of the Fifty Years' War have aligned themselves with Duke Larg. With Duke Goltanna under the banner of the Black Lion, and Duke Larg under that of the White, the stage is set for what history would one day record as the War of the Lions.
- FINAL FANTASY turns tactical. Experience strategic, turn-based combat on 3D battlefields brought to life with breathtaking art and stunning visual effects
- Customize your characters ... with 22 jobs and over 400 abilities to choose from, the tactical options open to you in combat are nearly endless
- Uncover secret truths hidden within a gripping tale of intrigue, betrayal, heresy, love and heroism
- Recruit legendary SQUARE ENIX characters to your party, including Balthier from FINAL FANTASY XII and Cloud from FINAL FANTASY VII
- Watch key scenes unfold through gorgeous, cutting-edge animation
- Immerse yourself in a captivating audio score from Hitoshi Sakimoto the composer of FINAL FANTASY XII
- Fight against your friends in wireless melee, or team up with them for co-op missions
Final Fantasy Tactics was a big move for the whole Final Fantasy franchise into different fields. Tactics combines traditional elements of the Final Fantasy series with a completely different game mechanics and battle system. It was the 1st game during Final Fantasy 32-bit era using a 3D, isometric, rotatable playing field, with bitmap sprite characters and a turn based strategy system.
In the game you build up a team by recruiting many available characters you meet during your travels and stocking up plenty of items, to defeat various enemies waiting on your path. The game features a very complex character class(job) system where each character begins his way with a job such as Squire or Chemist. Successfully participating in battles, characters can later select one of more advanced jobs, with a total of 19 to choose from. In addition there are certain monsters and computer controlled "guests" with their own jobs and special abilities available to learn. In total, over 400 abilities are available which leads to ultimate endless combinations!
The PSP version of game are mostly reiterates the original PSOne. For example, the visual presentation is almost a 1:1 copy of the original. It looks like PSOne version with zoomed-in camera to make it fit the PSP screen. However Square adds cel-shaded introduction movies and numerous animation sequences played after each chapter ends. Some maps were completely remade as well, but you still cannot skip event scenes.
Also PSP version features two new playable characters: Balthier, from Final Fantasy XII and Luso from Final Fantasy Tactics A2. Two new job classes also have been added - the completely new Onion Knight and the Dark Knight class which was available on the PSOne only after using a cheat code. There are two wireless multiplayer options available once you reach the world map (just go into a bar in any town). One is Coliseum (Versus Battle Mode), the second is Cooperative Challenge (team-mission).
|No. of Disks