Designed specifically to take advantage of the latest technologies Tomb Raider: Underworld represents a new advancement in exploration-based gameplay. As fearless adventurer Lara Croft explore exotic locations around the world, each designed with an incredible attention to detail resulting in breathtaking high-definition visual fidelity that creates a truly believable world and delivers a new level of challenge and choice.
For generations, stories have been told of the fearsome weapon of the Norse god Thor. Legend holds that he who wields the hammer has the power to smash mountains into valleys and the strength to destroy even the gods. For more than a thousand years it has existed only as a myth…until now.
In an ancient ruin on the floor of the Mediterranean Sea, Lara Croft uncovers proof of the Norse underworld and the mythical hammer. As she attempts to unravel the secrets behind these myths, Lara's perilous journey leads her toward a forgotten power that, if unleashed, could lay waste to all civilization.
- Master your surroundings: Reach new heights with the broadest range of acrobatic abilities and utilize objects within the environment to uncover new paths to explore.
- Explore epic and unknown worlds: Discover ancient mysteries of the underworld hidden within the coast of Thailand, frozen islands of the Arctic Sea, the jungles of Mexico, and more.
- Treacherous and unpredictable challenges: Each level is an elaborate multi-stage puzzle masked within an interactive environmental playground offering more flexibility over how the area is solved.
- New range of combat options: Choose to pacify or kill, target multiple enemies at once with the new dual-target system, and shoot with one hand while suspended with the other.
- New state-of-the-art gear: Utilize the latest technology in Lara's upgraded inventory to navigate the world including:
- Active Sonar map: A revolutionary new tool that emits an active sonar ping to create a 3D image of Lara's surroundings, perfect for uncovering hidden items and locations.
- Multi-purpose grapple: A claw-like device with a high-tension cable designed for climbing, rappelling, performing wall runs and manipulating objects within the environment.
- All-terrain hybrid motorbike: A unique vehicle design built to drive on everything from mud to snow and ice.
Tomb Raider: Underworld concludes the story of Lara's search for her mother who is supposedly trapped in a place called Avalon. Continuing the events from Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend and Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary, her search brings her once again to locations around the globe from the cold wastes of the Arctic to the beautiful landscapes of Thailand. This time even the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea is not save from Lara's exploring. At the same time the game continues to explore the idea of monomyth, this time incorporating the influences of the Norse mythology into its narrative.
The basic gameplay remains the same as in most of the previous iterations of the series with the focus on exploring, solving riddles and dodgy climbing passages instead of instant action and gun fights. For this Lara once again learned a few new moves including jumping between the walls introduced in Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time.
To help the players with the riddles, the game not only features a sonar map, showing Lara's immediate surroundings as a 3D grid for better orientation around the levels. Also, if asked, Lara gives general but helpful tips on what to do next.
The differences from the previous Tomb Raider games developed by Crystal Dynamics include the complete lack of QTE events. Instead the time slows down in critical moments, but the player still retains full control of the Lara's movements. Another change is the more non-linear level design more in vein with the traditional entries of the series.
|No. of Disks