In 1996, the original Tomb Raider was launched. The 3D game design, controls and graphics were truly ground breaking for their time. Furthermore, gamers were also presented with a unique, female human playable character with which they could become emotionally attached, Lara Croft. The original Tomb Raider sold over seven million copies and is still heralded as an absolute classic and one of the best action adventure games ever. Tomb Raider defined the PlayStation and changed the way that people played games.
In tribute to this and to celebrate and commemorate the continuing development of the Tomb Raider franchise and its central character, Crystal Dynamics are developing a new Tomb Raider adventure for Lara. Inspired by the original Tomb Raider video game; Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary faithfully preserves the elements which made the original Tomb Raider game such a classic.
Using an enhanced 'Tomb Raider: Legend' game engine, the graphics, technology and physics bring Lara's adventure and pursuit of a mystical artefact known only as the Scion right up to today's technology standards and will offer gamers a completely new gameplay experience.
Tomb Raider follows the adventures of Lara Croft after she is hired by a powerful syndicate to retrieve a mythical object called the Scion. After discovering that she has been used as a pawn in some larger scheme, Lara takes matters into her own hands deciding that she must uncover the mystery behind this ancient artefact.
- Celebrate and commemorate ten years of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft with Tomb Raider: Anniversary, an entirely new gameplay experience inspired by the first ever Tomb Raider adventure. Tomb Raider: Anniversary uses an enhanced version of the Tomb Raider: Legend game engine to apply Crystal Dynamic's latest PS2 technology.
- Play the living Lara Croft, the world's greatest action heroine of all time – use all of Lara's guile, athleticism and gadgets in her quest to conquer the unknown and uncover ancient artefacts.
- Includes classic environments from the original Tomb Raider as never experienced before – Crystal Dynamics latest technology allows you to fluidly manoeuvre Lara using her latest moves and gear, through all the worlds from the original; Peru, Greece, Egypt and more. The dynamic world allows multiple playthrough options and also opens up new places and ways to explore. Crystal's latest technology allows the environments to take on a breath taking new quality.
- Explore uncharted and mysterious worlds – enter into strange, undiscovered lands and solve their deepest, darkest mysteries, open doors to new realms, uncover great rewards and unearth secrets to Lara's past.
- Startling enemy encounters – encounter fierce animal and supernatural enemies, wolves, bears, crocodiles, horrific monsters and the T Rex. New and improved AI means that all enemies will exhibit a more diverse behaviour set, providing improved combat challenges for the player.
A mighty syndicate gives Lara Croft the task to find the Scion, a mystical artifact which is said to be the key to the secret of Atlantis. Since her father already searched for this item, Lara does not hesitate and begins her journey through ancient tombs and forgotten worlds.
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary is essentially a remake of the original Tomb Raider. So you fight and riddle your way through familiar sites and meet good old enemies. But also you feel at home, the game features everything that Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend has. So besides the better graphics, Lara also has many new moves, such as swinging on ropes, bullet time when an animal rushes towards her, and the addition of a grappling hook in her inventory (which resembles the one from the original game). Jumping is also a lot easier, as the heroine automatically grabs the ledges without requiring pixel-precise timing. There are also completely new moves, where Lara balances and jumps on small sticks.
The cut-scenes are identical, but rendered in real-time using the new engine. Some are also action-based, like in the previous games, requiring quick reflexes to keep the action going. The environments and riddles have been changed to fit the new gameplay and the voice recording was also redone.
|No. of Disks